Autonomous systems have enormous potential and are bound to be a major driver for future economic and societal transformations. However, safety and other critical properties still need to be guaranteed, making it hardly possible at the moment to exploit the full potential of autonomous systems.
The Autonomous and Fraunhofer Institute for Experimental Software Engineering IESE are hosting a virtual Chapter Event in the area of Safety & Architecture for autonomous systems.
In the first session, our speakers and panelists will address the topic of dynamic assurance methods for balancing safety and performance in the context of autonomous vehicles. In the second session, methods for systematically engineering and assuring specification and operation within the Operational Design Domain (ODD) will be discussed.
The Chapter Event Agenda is structured as follows:
13:00 – 15:30 FOCUS I: Dynamic Risk Management for Autonomous Systems
- What are the existing metrics for dynamic risk assessment?
- How to come up with risk metrics suitable for dynamic risk assessment?
- How to define acceptable residual dynamic risk and how to assure a system accordingly?
- How to aggregate individual dynamic risks into a situation or collective risks?
- How to trade-off different (competing) risks against each other?
15:30 – 16:00 BREAK
16:00-18:00 FOCUS II: Systematic Engineering of Operational Design Domains for Autonomous Systems
- Current methods or standardization activities for ODD specification
- What is the relationship between ODD and architecture specification?
- What is the relationship between ODD and safety analysis?
- What is the relationship between ODD and safety argumentation/safety case?
- What is the relationship between ODD and validation/verification?
Jan Reich – Expert Dynamic Assurances for Connected Autonomous Systems at Fraunhofer IESE
Fabian Oboril – Research Scientist for Dependable Driving Automation at Intel
Bertrand Ricque – Program Manager and Team Leader at Safran Electronics & Defense
Iain Whiteside – Principal Scientist, Director of Assurance at Five
Bernhard Kaiser – Principal Safety Consultant at ANSYS
Rolf Johannson – Safety Expert at Astus
By participating in this virtual Chapter Event, you will help shape the future of “Safety & Architecture” in autonomous mobility!